Prof. Poonam Gandhi
Ph.D. in Sociology from M.S. University, Vadodara
Associate Professor - Sociology
Prof.Poonam Gandhi is currently an Associate Professor at FLAME University.
She holds a Bachelor’s degree from St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai and has a Master’s degree in Sociology from The M.S. University of Baroda. She is a doctorate in Sociology and her doctoral research is in the field of sociology of art. She also holds a diploma in Human Resource Management and a diploma in Foundation Art.
Her teaching career spans 15 years and she has taught several courses to the post graduate and under graduate students in the Department of Sociology and Department of Human Development and Family studies at the M.S.University of Baroda. She has also been a visiting faculty, teaching courses related to sociology, at IGNOU, Women’s Study Research Center, Social Work faculty, and Medical College of the M.S.University of Baroda.
She has worked on projects funded by Ford foundation, SEWA-MHT, Ahmadabad, NACO-National Aids Control Organization and was a co-investigator on a project commissioned by Gujarat Council of Elementary Education on Dropouts from elementary schools of Gujarat.
She has to her credit 10 research papers published in peer reviewed national and international journals and 5 chapters in edited books. Her areas of interest are sociology of art and culture, sociology of gender and human relations.
- ‘Women fine artists in contemporary India: An empirical study’ in Global Journal for Research Analysis; Volume 5, Issue 1, January 2016; ISSN: 2277-8160
- ‘Discrimination at workplace based on marital status: A sociological study’ in International Journal for Research and Development; Vol. 1, No. 6, March-April 2014; ISSN: 2321-3434
- ‘The role of films in portraying women and child trafficking’ in Brinda P. et al (Eds.) Silent Victims; Delhi, Victorious Publishers, 2013; ISBN 978-81-924744-5-8 (Co authored with Xavier, S.)
- ‘Tribal art and development: An exploration of pithora art of Gujarat’ in Global Research Analysis; Volume 2, Issue-2, Feb, 2013 ISSN: 2277-8160
- ‘Addressing slum dwellers’ woes- A need for NGOs’ initiative’ in Journal of Social Reality; Volume 2, Number-2, April-June 2012; ISSN: 0976-3422
- ‘Being single in a marriage oriented society’ in VNSGU journal of humanities and social sciences. Volume 3, Issue 2, Jul-Dec 2011; ISSN: 2277-6168 (Co-authored with Mehta, R.)
- ‘A Study of Art Viewers through a Sociological Lens’ in International Journal of Social Science Tomorrow; Vol. 1 No. 6, August 2012; ISSN: 2277-6168
- ‘Ageing in 21st century India’ in Abhivyakti Journal Vol. 6, Issue 4, March –April 2012; ISSN: 0975-8046
- ‘Active and Joyful Ageing: An engaging approach in Later Adulthood’ in Joshi U., et al (Eds.) Aging in Twenty first century India. Vol. 1; Delhi, Authors press, 2012; ISBN 978-81-7273-645-3
- ‘Role of parents and teachers in facilitating childrens’ artistic expression’ in Journal of Deliberative Research, Vol.13, Issue 1, January to March 2012; ISSN 0976-1136
- ‘Changing interests in Fine Arts as a profession: A study in sociology of arts’ in Indian Journal of Applied Research, Volume 1, Issue 6, March 2012 pp.235-236; ISSN 2249-555X
- ‘Sociology of art: A Theoretical Exploration’ in Paripex- Indian Journal of Research, Volume 1, Issue 4, April 2012 pp 263-265; ISSN 2250-1991
- ‘Interface between family and work place’, Applied Social Psychology, Interpersonal Relationships; New Delhi, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) 2011; ISBN 978-81-266-5515-1
- ‘Launching and Contracting families’, Human Development and Family Relations, Family Life Cycle Stages II; New Delhi, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) 2010; ISBN: 978-813-266-4953-2
- ‘Learning during twilight years- Annotations from fieldwork’ in R. Pandya (Ed.) Life Long Education in India, Delhi, Swastik Publication, 2010; ISBN:978-93-80138-69-5
- Art and artists in ancient India- A sociological Inquiry’ in Sambodhi, Journal of Indology; Vol. XXIX, 2007 pp. 97-101
PAPERS PRESENTED AT CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
- ‘Epistemology of Sociology of Art’ at The Asian Conference on the Social Sciences in Kobe, Japan, June 2017
- ‘Global Citizenship and Civic Engagement’ at The Liberal Arts and Global Citizenship: Theory and Practice conference at DePauw University, USA, 23-25 February 2017
- ‘Annotations on critical pedagogy in transacting Sociology courses’ at the National seminar on Pedagogy in Education at The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, 6-7 February 2017
- ‘Challenges of National Policy on Older Persons: An empirical research in social gerontology’ at The Social Sciences and Public Policy conference in Washington DC, USA, May 2016
- ‘A sociological study of experiences of singles at work place’ at 21st Gujarat Sociological Society Conference at Rajkot, February 2014
- ‘The role of films in portraying women and child trafficking’ at an International conference on ‘Women empowerment: Global perspective’ organized by EAST (Environmental Advisory for Sustainable Trust), September, 2013
- ‘Tribal art and development: An exploration of Pithora tribal art of Gujarat’ at 20th Gujarat Sociological Society Conference at Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, January 2013.
- ‘Sociology of Art: A Theoretical Exploration’ at 19th Gujarat Sociological Society conference, North Gujarat, January 2012
- ‘Are singles lonely? A research in an Indian context’ at Regional Science Congress Organized by Science Congress Association (Baroda Chapter) and The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, September, 2012
- ‘Being single in a marriage oriented society’ at Gujarat Sociological Society conference, North Gujarat, January 2012
- ‘Changing interests in fine arts as a profession: A study in sociology of art’ at a 37th All India Sociological conference of Indian Sociological Society at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, December 2011
- ‘Art viewers of Baroda city-through a sociological lens’ at a UGC-ICHR sponsored National Seminar ‘Mapping a city: Baroda through the ages’, organized by Department of History, at The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, February 2011
- ‘Active and Joyful ageing- Engaging approach in later life’ in UGC sponsored National seminar on ‘Ageing women in 21st century: emerging issues and challenges’, organized by Department of Extension and communication, at The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, January, 2011
- ‘Women Artists- Unearthing the hidden’ in a National Conference organized by Indian Association For Women’s Studies at the University of Lucknow, February 2008.
- ‘Transition in Hindi Cinema : A sociological Analysis’ in the 12th Gujarat Sociological Society Conference held at Ahmadabad, February, 2005
- ‘Social Relevance of Arts in Ancient India’ at the 10th Gujarat Sociological Society Conference, November, 2002
- ‘Art and Society-A sociological Inquiry’ at the 9th Gujarat Sociological Society Conference, October, 2001