Dr. Divya Balan
Ph.D in International Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi; M.Phil in International Studies; Masters in International Studies
Assistant Professor - International Studies
Dr. Divya Balan is Assistant Professor with Doctorate in International Studies from the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. She is UGC-NET qualified in International and Area Studies and has been teaching for the past seven years. Her doctoral thesis was on “Immigrants Integration Policies in Britain: A Study of Indian Immigrants Incorporation 2000-2010” in which she undertook a policy level analysis that pertains to the integration measures taken by British Government during the post multiculturalist phase of 2000-2010 in response to the significant migratory flow to its territory, taking Indian immigrants’ incorporation to British society as a case study. She has visited London School of Economics and University of Derby, UK on a short-term Europe Area Studies Programme Grant to complete her doctoral thesis. She is a Political Science graduate and has her Masters and M.Phil. in International Studies. Dr. Divya has recently received an International Visiting Fellowship from the Institute for European Global Studies, University of Basel, Switzerland to study on “Teaching and Researching on European Studies in Indian Universities”.
Dr. Divya has earlier taught in the capacity of Assistant Professor at the Department of Political Science in the Delhi University (Shri Ram College of Commerce and Kamala Nehru College) and at the Department of International Relations in the Central University of Kerala. Her areas of teaching and research interests include disciplinary histories of International Studies and European Studies, international migration and migration policies, Indian diaspora, Gulf migration, and Kerala studies. Dr. Balan has received several scholarships and grants and also a member of several academic organizations. She has published a book and a number of research papers in edited books and several reputed research journals. She has also participated and presented papers in numerous international and national conferences as well as participated in symposiums outside India.
- 2018 - Towards a digitally empowered society: The case of Digital India Programme. In Vinodan C. (ed.), Governance and development challenges in India, New Delhi: New Century publishers, ISBN 978-81-7708-445-0, pp. 69-82.
- 2018 - International Relations: A historical perspective. In Siddharth Tripathi (ed.), International Relations: Theories and approaches, New Delhi: Worldview Publications, ISBN 978-93822-67-324.
- 2015 - Indian Immigrants in Britain: Features of Diasporic Life Post 2000s, Global Research Forum on Diaspora and Transnationalism/GRFDT Research Monograph Series No. 6, June 2015, ISSN 2454-3675.
- 2015 - Living the Double Life: An Analysis of the Transgender Community in Kasaragod District, Kerala. The Investigator – An International Refereed Journal of Multidisciplinary Explorations, Vol.1, No. 2, September 2015, ISSN: 2454-3314, pp. 158-169.
- 2015 - Strategising Indianness Abroad: A Socio-Cultural Account of Indian Diasporic Life in Britain in Proceedings on “Travails of Uprootment: A Tribute to Refugees, Exiles and Diasporic Communities”, pp. 220-225, ISBN 978-93-85723-00-1.
- 2015 - Cultural Representation among Indian Diaspora in Multicultural Britain: An Analysis of Ethnic Popular Media and Bollywood Effect in Proceedings on “Dialogics of Cultural Encounters”, pp. 24-30, ISBN 978-93-85105-21-0.
- 2014 - ‘Firm but Fair Rhetoric’: The Politics of British Immigration Policies, Thiruvananthapuram: Siansu Publications, ISBN 978-81-927528-6-0.
- 2014 – “Multiculturalism as a Policy of Integration in Britain” in Rajendra K. Jain (ed.), Multiculturalism in India and Europe, New Delhi: Aakar Books, ISBN 978-93-5002-279-5, pp. 168-182.
- 2013/14 - Linking Counter Terrorism Strategies with Migration Policies: A Puzzling Case of Post 9/11 Britain. Journal of Polity and Society, Vol. V (1/2) and Vol. VI (1), December 2013 – June 2014, ISSN 0976-0210, pp. 58-75.
- 2013 - Empowerment through Political Participation: Analysis of Decision Making Power of Women in Local Governance. International Journal for Environmental Protection and Rural Development, Vol. III (1), July-September 2013, ISSN 2249-4375, pp. 31-40.
- 2013 - Towards a Common EU Immigration Policy: An Analysis of Post Lisbon Treaty Developments. Holistic Thought, Vol. XII (1/2), Jan-June/July-Dec 2013, ISSN 0975-363, pp. 81-96.
- 2012 - Report on “India's Diaspora Policy: Evolution, Challenges and Prospects” by Amb. J.C. Sharma, Former Member Secretary, High Level Committee on Indian Diaspora in the Global Research Forum on Diaspora and Transnationalism (GRFDT) Newsletter Roots and Routes, Vol.1, No.2, May 2012.