Prof. Anup Tripathi
Ph.D. from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai; Pre-Doctoral from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai; M.A. in Social Work from Tata Institute of Social Sciences; B.A. (H) in Political Science from University of Delhi
Assistant Professor - Sociology
Dr. Anup Tripathi holds a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from University of Delhi and has Master’s and PhD degrees from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. His doctoral research attempts to theorize homelessness through an ethnographic study of the lived experiences of the homeless people in Mumbai.
He has been a visiting scholar at Masaryk University, Czech Republic and Roskilde University, Denmark. He is a recipient of the NET- Junior Research Fellowship by the UGC and NTSE Scholarship by the NCERT. His areas of interest are Housing and the Urban Poor, Urban Studies, Environment Impact Assessment and Social Impact Assessment.
He has previously worked as a researcher at Centre for Electronic Governance, IIM Ahmedabad; Urban India Research Facility, School of Habitat Studies, TISS; and Environment Division, Central Mine Planning and Design Institute Limited, Ranchi. He has also taught courses on Social Research Methods to M.A. students at School of Social Work, TISS in the capacity of a Teaching Associate.
- Kamath, L., Deekshit, P. & Tripathi, A. (2013). Uneven Development and Weak Governance in a Powerloom Hub: A Case Study of Solapur. School of Habitat Studies, TISS, Mumbai. (Working Paper)
- Tripathi, A. (2014). Understanding the Problem of Homelessness: A Case for Using Habitus as a Tool. The Journal of Development Practice. Vol. 1. ISSN 2394- 0476.
- Tripathi, A. (2016). Reconceptualising Homelessness: A Case for Documenting Voices from Below. KAAV International Journal of Arts, Humanities and Social Science. Vol 3, Issue 3. ISSN 2348- 4349.
- Tripathi, A. (2016). Marginalization and Resistance: Migrant Workers Living with Everyday Violence on the Streets. Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities. Vol. 6, No. 10, pp. 1441-1448. ISSN 2249-7315.
- Tripathi, A. (2016). Is Gender-Neutral Social Research Possible? Feminist Research. (forthcoming)
- 'Baseline Study of e-District Mission Mode Project 2010' on behalf of IIM Ahmedabad. Commissioned by the Department of Information Technology, Government of India
- 'Impact Assessment of Commercial Taxes Computerization 2010' on behalf of IIM Ahmedabad. Commissioned by the Department of Information Technology, Government of India
- 'In Search of Their Livelihood- A Profile of Migrant Labourers in Navi Mumbai' (2010) on behalf of Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action (YUVA), Mumbai
- Process of Dairy Project Implementation under KLEAP (2013) on behalf of CARE India. Bhuj
Paper Presentations in Seminars and Conferences:
- International Conference on Rethinking Cities: Urban Violence, Social Inequality and Spatial Justice organized by the School of Habitat Studies, TISS, Mumbai (January 2016)
- National Seminar on Migration, Poverty and Social Justice: Perspectives, Policies and Experiences organized by the Centre for Community Organization and Development Practice, TISS, Mumbai (March 2014)
- Social Science Approaches to Urban Studies Research Workshop organized by Sociology Unit, Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi at Goa (December 2013)
- Summer Seminar on Methodological Challenges in Researching Lifelong Learning at Graduate School in Lifelong Learning, Roskilde University, Denmark (August 2013)
- Comparative Urban and Regional Research Workshop at Indian Institute of Human Settlements, Bangalore (July, 2013)
- National Level Workshop on ‘Provincial Urbanisation: Examining the Role of Small and Medium Towns and Cities in India’ conducted by Urban India Research Facility and SUBURBIN at the School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi (April, 2013)
- Indian Social Work Congress at Department of Social Work, University of Delhi, Delhi (February, 2013)
- UGC- DSA National Seminar at Department of Social Work, M S University, Baroda (February, 2013)
- “A Conversation on India’s efforts to address poverty: People and Policy perspectives” organized by School of Public Service, DePaul University, Chicago at TISS, Mumbai (December, 2012)
- National Conference on Homelessness at Olomouc, Czech Republic (November 2011)