Prof. Anup Tripathi
Ph.D. from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai; Pre-Doctoral from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai; M.A. in Social Work from Tata Institute of Social Sciences; B.A. (H) in Political Science from University of Delhi
Assistant Professor - Sociology
Dr. Anup Tripathi holds a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from University of Delhi and has Master’s and PhD degrees from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. His doctoral research attempts to theorize homelessness through an ethnographic study of the lived experiences of the homeless people in Mumbai.
He has been a visiting scholar at Masaryk University, Czech Republic and Roskilde University, Denmark. He is a recipient of the NET- Junior Research Fellowship by the UGC and NTSE Scholarship by the NCERT. His areas of interest are Urban Studies, Housing, Sustainability, Indian Sociology and Urban Sociology.
He has previously worked as a researcher at Centre for Electronic Governance, IIM Ahmedabad; Urban India Research Facility, School of Habitat Studies, TISS Mumbai; and Environment Division, Central Mine Planning and Design Institute Limited, Ranchi. He has also taught at the School of Social Work, TISS Mumbai in the capacity of a Teaching Associate.
- Kamath, L., Deekshit, P. & Tripathi, A. (2013). Uneven Development and Weak Governance in a Powerloom Hub: A Case Study of Solapur. School of Habitat Studies, TISS, Mumbai.
- Tripathi, A. (2014). Understanding the Problem of Homelessness: A Case for Using Habitus as a Tool. The Journal of Development Practice. Vol. 1. ISSN 2394- 0476.
- Tripathi, A. (2014). Revisiting Homelessness: A Case for Chronicling Voices from Below in the book titled ‘Research for Social Work in India- Trends and Challenges’ published by MS University, Baroda.
- Tripathi, A. (2016). Reconceptualising Homelessness: A Case for Documenting Voices from Below. KAAV International Journal of Arts, Humanities and Social Science. Vol 3, Issue 3. ISSN 2348- 4349.
- Tripathi, A. (2016). Marginalization and Resistance: Migrant Workers Living with Everyday Violence on the Streets. Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities. Vol. 6, No. 10, pp. 1441-1448. ISSN 2249-7315.
- Tripathi, A. (2016). Is Gender-Neutral Social Research Possible? Feminist Research. (forthcoming)
- Tripathi, A. (2019). Unravelling Cities and Urban Spaces. Economic and Political Weekly. Vol. 54, No. 34. ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976.
- Patel, T., Sharma, A. R., & Tripathi, A. (2019). Legislation, Resources and Rights: A Case Study of Forest Rights in India. Human Geography and Environment Research. ISSN 2036-7910.
- 'Baseline Study of e-District Mission Mode Project 2010' on behalf of IIM Ahmedabad. Commissioned by the Department of Information Technology, Government of India
- 'Impact Assessment of Commercial Taxes Computerization 2010' on behalf of IIM Ahmedabad. Commissioned by the Department of Information Technology, Government of India
- 'In Search of Their Livelihood- A Profile of Migrant Labourers in Navi Mumbai' (2010) on behalf of Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action (YUVA), Mumbai
- Process of Dairy Project Implementation under KLEAP (2013) on behalf of CARE India. Bhuj
Articles and Blog Posts:
- Tripathi, A. (2020). Lessons from Singapore. Telangana Today. https://telanganatoday.com/lessons-from-singapore
- Tripathi, A. (2020). Defeat virus with decency, empathy. Telangana Today. https://telanganatoday.com/defeat-virus-with-decency-empathy
- Tripathi, A. (2018). Homing in on the ‘Homelessness’ in India: A Proposed Schema. FLAME University. https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/homing-in-on-the-homeless-in-india-a-proposed-schema
- Tripathi, A. (2017). A Proposed Typology of Homelessness in India. Reimagining Cities in the Global South. https://theblogurk.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/a-proposed-typology-of-homelessness-in-india/
Paper Presentations in Seminars and Conferences:
- International Workshop on Research Methods and Approaches to Migration and Diaspora Studies organized by the Centre for Diaspora Studies, Central University of Gujarat, and CMRB and University of east London (June- July 2020)
- Faculty Development Program on ‘Environmental Impacts of COVID-19 Pandemic organized by the University School of Environment Management, GGSIP University, Delhi (May-June 2020).
- World Governance Expedition, Singapore (2019)
- International Geographical Union- Urban Geography Commission Annual Meeting and Conference, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg (2019)
- Invitation only workshop on Informality organized by the Centre for Urban Policy and Governance, TISS, Mumbai (2018)
- TISS-DST Winter Workshop on Developments in Climate Change and Sustainable Development sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology-GOI, TISS, Mumbai (2017)
- International Conference on Rethinking Cities: Urban Violence, Social Inequality and Spatial Justice organized by the School of Habitat Studies, TISS, Mumbai (January 2016)
- One-month training on Corporate Social Responsibility at Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, Manesar, Gurgaon (November- December 2015)
- National Seminar on Migration, Poverty and Social Justice: Perspectives, Policies and Experiences organized by the Centre for Community Organization and Development Practice, TISS, Mumbai (March 2014)
- Social Science Approaches to Urban Studies Research Workshop organized by Sociology Unit, Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi at Goa (December 2013)
- Summer Seminar on Methodological Challenges in Researching Lifelong Learning at Graduate School in Lifelong Learning, Roskilde University, Denmark (August 2013)
- Comparative Urban and Regional Research Workshop at Indian Institute of Human Settlements, Bangalore (July, 2013)
- National Level Workshop on ‘Provincial Urbanisation: Examining the Role of Small and Medium Towns and Cities in India’ conducted by Urban India Research Facility and SUBURBIN at the School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi (April, 2013)
- Indian Social Work Congress at Department of Social Work, University of Delhi, Delhi (February, 2013)
- UGC- DSA National Seminar at Department of Social Work, M S University, Baroda (February, 2013)
- “A Conversation on India’s efforts to address poverty: People and Policy perspectives” organized by School of Public Service, DePaul University, Chicago at TISS, Mumbai (December, 2012)
- National Conference on Homelessness at Olomouc, Czech Republic (November 2011)