Prof. Barun Kumar Thakur
FPM in Environmental Economics from NITIE, Mumbai; M.A in Economics; B.Sc. in Information Technology; B.A in Economics
Assistant Professor – Economics
Barun has completed his FPM in Environmental Economics at National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai. His thesis deals with socio-economic costs and benefits of arsenic removal from groundwater in Bihar and he quantifies the cost associated to the household due to arsenic in drinking water.Barun has earlier worked with Indian School of Business, Madras School of Economics and VAMNICOM Pune. He has published a number of papers in journals, book chapters and government reports. He has presented his work in various international and national conferences in India and outside, and receives grants and travel awards. He is a reviewer for journals in Springer and IWA Publishing. His areas of teaching and research include neuro-economics, economics of water pollution, environmental economics and non-market environmental valuation.
- Thakur, B., K., and V., Gupta. 20016. Arsenic concentration in drinking water of Bihar: health issues and socio-economic problems, Journal of Water Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, DOI: 10.2166/washdev.2016.047 (In Press)
- Thakur, B., K., and V., Gupta. 20016. Groundwater Arsenic Contamination Problems in Bihar: Causes, Issues and Challenges. Manthan: Journal of Commerce and Management, Journal Press India, 2(1): 45-60.
- Thakur, B., K., H. S. Rout., and T. Chakraborty. 2014. Environmental Degradation, Sustainable Development and Human Well-Being: Evidence from India. Manthan: Journal of Commerce and Management, Journal Press India, 1(1): 101-120.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2016. “Do socio-economic characteristics influence households’ willingness to pay for arsenic free drinking water in Bihar?”. Arsenic Research and Global Sustainability (As 2016): Proceedings of the 6th International Congress on Arsenic in the Environment, June 19-23, 2016, Stockholm, Sweden. CRC Press. Taylor & Francis (In Press).
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2014. “Arsenic contamination in groundwater and its associated health effects in Maner and Shahpur blocks of Bihar, India.” One Century of the Discovery of Arsenicosis in Latin America (1914-2014) As 2014: Proceedings of the 5th International Congress on Arsenic in the Environment, May 11-16, 2014, Buenos Aires, Argentina. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis. 619-621.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar, Vijaya Gupta, and Utpal Chattopadhyay. 2013. “Arsenic Groundwater Contamination Related Socio-Economic Problems in India: Issues and Challenges.” Knowledge Systems of Societies for Adaptation and Mitigation of Impacts of Climate Change. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 163-182.
- Tamali, Chakraborty and Barun Kumar Thakur. 2012. “Theoretical Understanding of Special Economic Zone Strategy in India: A Case Study of GMR SEZ of Hyderabad.” Development of Special Economic Zones in India: Policies and Issues. Concept Publishing Company Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi. 8-21.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar. 2010. “Impact of Environmental Degradation on Human Development.” Human Development in India: Challenges and Policies. New Century Publications, New Delhi. 305-319.
- Centre for Development Studies. 2012. Trade and Development: Case of Black Pepper and Cardamom. Wrote second chapter on “Production conditions” along with Anitha V, H S Rout, and R K Bhuian. The report is available online (http://cds.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Final-Report-NRPPD.pdf).
Selected Conference Presentation
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2015. Assessment of Arsenic Induced Health Disease in Bihar, India. Presented for a poster presentation at ISEE 2015, held at August 31- September 3, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2015. Arsenic Contamination in Drinking Water and Valuing Health Damages: A case study of Bihar. Presented for a poster presentation at Our Common Future Under Climate Change, held at UNESCO headquarter Paris 7-10 July, France.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2014. Economic Valuation of Arsenic free water using Contingent Valuation Method: A case study of Bihar, India. Presented at 51st annual conference of the Indian Econometric Society, December 12-14, 2014 Patiala.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2014. Arsenic concentration in drinking water of Bihar: Health issues and socio-economic problems. Presented for poster presentation at ISEE 2014: Well being and Equity within Planetary Boundaries, held at 13-15 August, Reykjavik University of Iceland, Iceland.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2014. Arsenic contamination in groundwater and its associated health effects in Maner and Shahpur blocks of Bihar, India. Presented in the “5th International Congress on Arsenic in the Environment”, May 11-16, 2014, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2014. Socio Economic Impacts of Groundwater Arsenic Contamination in Bihar. Presented in the “International conference on Environment, Technology and Sustainable Development: Promises and Challenges in the 21st Century” organised by IIITM Gwalior, ISEC Bangalore and University of San Francisco and held at 2-4 March Gwalior, India.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar. 2014. Trade and Environmental Disputes in World Trade Organization. Presented in the national seminar on Trade and Development, Organised by School of Economics, Devi Ahilya University, Indore, 7-8 February, 2014.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2013. Groundwater Arsenic Contamination Problems in Bihar: Causes, Issues and Challenges. Presented for poster presentation in the “Efficient Water Management: Challenges and Opportunities” organised by India Water Week 2013 Ministry of Water Resources, Government of India New Delhi 8-12 April 2013.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar, Himanshu Sekhar Rout, Anita V and Ranjan Kumar Bhuian. 2012. Paper titled “Production Conditions in Cardamom and Pepper Cultivation” presented in the seminar on “Building Competitiveness in Globalised Era: Experience of India’s Plantation Sector” Organised by Centre for Development Studies Trivandrum 23-24 January, 2012.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta and Utpal Chattopadhyay. 2012. Vulnerability of Population Exposed to Groundwater Arsenic Contamination in Bihar. Presented in the 3rd international conference on “Urban Biodiversity and Climate Change: Adaptation and Mitigation” organised by IIT Mumbai 8-12 October, 2012.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar and Vijaya Gupta. 2011. Arsenic groundwater contamination related socio-economic problems in India: Issues and challenges. Presented in the “International Humboldt Kolleg” organised by ISEC Bangalore 19-21 October, 2011.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar. 2011. Multilateral Environmental Agreements and trade and environmental disputes in WTO” presented in the “Seminar on Changing Structure of International Trade & Investment: Implication for growth and development” organized by JMI, New Delhi 2-3 March, 2011.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar. 2010. Multilateral Trade Negotiations and Trade and Environmental disputes in WTO” presented in the “Second Research Conference on Empirical Issues in International Trade & Finance” organized by IIFT New Delhi 16-17 December, 2010.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar. 2010. Transboundary pollution and its impact on local ecosystems: Evidence from India. Presented in the conference on “Climate change and economic development” organised by Devi Ahilya University Indore 12-13, March 2010.
- Thakur, Barun Kumar. 2010. Impact of environmental degradation on human well-being: Evidence from India. Presented in the “Seventh conference of IASSH on Health, poverty and human development” organised by Banaras Hindu University Varanasi 5-7 March 2010.