Prof. Shamsher Singh
Ph.D. in Sociology from University of Calcutta, Kolkata
Assistant Professor - Sociology
Dr. Shamsher Singh received Junior and Senior Research Fellowship for doctoral research at the Sociological Research Unit of the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata and Economic Analysis Unit, Bangalore Centre. He was awarded doctorate from the Department of Sociology, University of Calcutta. His doctoral research was a sociological study of access of rural households to housing and basic amenities across five states in India using the concept of social exclusion. He has attended one semester of M.Phil. in Sociology course work at the Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi.
Dr. Singh has been involved in carrying out socio-economic village studies since one and half decade and has experience of participating in more than twenty such studies across different agro-ecological regions in India. Other than being involved in collecting and processing primary data he has contributed in preparing several manuals like household survey training manual for investigators, manual for organizing village studies, data entry, and manual for calculating household incomes. He has presented his work at national and international academic forums. Before joining FLAME, he worked with the Centre for Management in Agriculture (CMA), Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad as Post-Doctoral Fellow and at the Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore Centre as Visiting Scientist.
Dr. Singh has worked on the projects funded by UNDP, UGC, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Labour and Employment. He has a wide range of academic and research interests some of them can be put under the broad themes of - agrarian relations; rural housing; water; sanitation; electricity; quality of life and living conditions; rural development; social exclusion; caste and class; rural and Indian sociology; rural livelihood; and village and agrarian studies.
He was an elected member of the Executive Committee of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics (ISAE) for the period 2017-19 and a Lifetime Member of the Indian Sociological Society (ISS).
- Kalhan, Anuradha, Singh, Shamsher, Moghe, Kiran. 2020. “Locked Down, Trapped, and Abandoned Migrant Workers in Pune City”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 55, Issue No 26-27, 27 June, pp. 25-27. Web link: https://www.epw.in/journal/2020/26-27/commentary/locked-down-trapped-and-abandoned-migrant-workers.html
- Singh, Shamsher. 2015. Residential Segregation and Access to Basic Amenities: A Village-Level Case Study. Review of Agrarian Studies, New Delhi. July-December. 5 (2): 127-146. ISSN 2248-9002.
- Singh, Shamsher, Swaminathan, Madhura, Ramachandran, V.K. 2013. Housing Shortages in Rural India. Review of Agrarian Studies, New Delhi. July 2013- January 2014,3 (2): 54-72. ISSN 2248-9002.
CHAPTERS IN EDITED BOOKS
- Bakshi, Aparajita and Singh, Shamsher. ‘Aspects of Poverty in the Three Villages’, in Bakshi, Aparajita and Modak, Tapas Singh (eds.) (2021), Socio-Economic Surveys of Three Villages in West Bengal: A Study of Agrarian Relations, Tulika Books, New Delhi, ISBN: 978-81-947175-5-3, pp. 437-80.
- Singh, Shamsher. 2017. Living Standards of Small Farmers in India. In Swaminathan, Madhura and Baksi, Sandipan (eds.) How Do Small Farmers Fare? Evidence from Village Studies in India, Tulika Books, New Delhi, ISBN 978-93-82381-97-6.
- Singh, Shamsher. 2017. Condition of Housing and Access to Basic Household Amenities. In Swaminathan, Madhura and Das, Arindam (eds.) Socio-economic Surveys of Three Villages in Karnataka: A Study of Agrarian Relations, Tulika Books, New Delhi, ISBN 978-93-82381-88-4, pp. 295-316.
- Swaminathan, Madhura and Singh, Shamsher. 2014. Exclusion in Access to Basic Civic Amenities: Evidence from Fourteen Villages. In Ramachandran, V. K. and Swaminathan, Madhura (eds.) Dalit Households in Village Economies, Tulika Books, New Delhi, ISBN 978-93-82381-30-3, pp. 305-32.
“Formal Sector Agricultural Credit and Participation of Marginal and Small Farmers in India”, a report submitted to the Centre for Management in Agriculture (CMA), Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
MEDIA/NEWS ARTICLES PUBLISHED
- ‘The Curious Case of ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ (ONORC)’, September 14, 2021. Web-link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/the-curious-case-of-one-nation-one-ration-card-onorc
- 'Food and Nutrition during the COVID-19 Pandemic', June 16, 21. FnBnews.com. http://www.fnbnews.com/Top-News/food-and-nutrition-during-the-covid19-pandemic-64327
- 'Migrant workers in the Post-Covid-19 Era-A Policy Brief' published by the Pandemic Studies Unit of the Foundation for Agrarian Studies, Bengaluru. January 6, 2021. Web link: http://fas.org.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Migrant-Worker-Covid-19.pdf
- 'COVID-19 Pandemic and Role of the Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme', January 6, 2021. Web-link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/covid-19-pandemic-and-role-of-the-rural-employment-guarantee-scheme
- 'The ‘Essential’ Questions', July 1, 2020. Link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/the-essential-questions
- 'Who kneads your aata (flour)? The lost love for labour', July 18, 2020. Doing Sociology. Link: https://doingsociology2020.blogspot.com/2020/07/who-kneads-your-aata-flour-lost-love.html
- 'The Sociology of “Social Distancing”, June 2020. Web-Link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/the-sociology-of-social-distancing
- ‘Rural Distress’, May 8. Frontline Cover Story-Survey to assess impact of COVID-19 lockdown on rural livelihoods and incomes. Special Team. pp. 29-33. Vol. 37 (09). https://frontline.thehindu.com/cover-story/article31404299.ece
- 'COVID-19 Pandemic and Necessity of a Social Science Perspective', April 2020. Web-Link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/covid-19-pandemic-and-necessity-of-a-social-science-perspective
- 'Studying the Rural and Liberal Education', February 2020. Web-Link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/studying-the-rural-and-liberal-education
- 'Experiential Learning, Service-Learning and Liberal Arts', February 2020. Web-Link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/experiential-learning-service-learning-and-liberal-arts
- 'Drinking Water in Rural India- An Aggravated Perennial Crisis', June 2019. Web-Link: https://www.flame.edu.in/newsroom/drinking-water-in-rural-india-an-aggravated-perennial-crisis
- Singh, Shamsher. 2016. What the Clean India Mission Needs to Do. Blog-post for Foundation for Agrarian Studies website, October 19.
- Sridhar, V. and Singh, Shamsher. 2010. Rural India’s Communication Divide. Op-Ed in the National English daily The Hindu, August 27.
- ‘Development, Significance, and Impact of the Farmers’ Protest Against Three Farm Laws in India’ at the 83rd Annual Meeting of the Rural Sociological Society (USA). June 3, 2021.
- Panellist at ‘Migrant Workers in the Post-Covid Era’ organised by the Foundation for Agrarian Studies, Bengaluru on the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on employment in informal sector in India. February 11, 2021.
- 'Inter-State Migrant Workers: Vulnerabilities and Responses during the Lockdown in Pune City' at the International Webinar 'Migrants and Displaced Persons amid COVID-19: Issues, Challenges and Policy Options organised by Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala in collaboration with FLAME University, Pune and Global Research Forum on Diaspora and Transnationalism (GRFDT), New Delhi. October 15-17, 2020.
- Invited lecture ‘Sociological Research and its Importance’ for Sociology batch of Holy Family School, Hisar, Haryana. October 12, 2020.
- Invited lecture ‘Rural Housing, Residential Pattern and Social Dynamics’ for the Bachelor of Architecture batch of the L S Raheja School of Architecture, Mumbai. January 20, 2021.
- International Workshop on Improvising Strategies for Social Research Methodological Concerns organized by the Indian Anthropological Association and Anthropology without Borders. August 12-13, 2020.
- ‘Combating Discrimination and Exclusion in Accessing Essential Resources’ at the Global Liberal Arts Alliance (GLAA) Conference for Humanitarian Innovation & Entrepreneurship (CHIE): SDG Impact through Service-Learning organised by the Lingnan University, Hong Kong. December 16-17, 2019.
- Invited talk ‘Housing and Labour Relations in Rural Rajasthan: A Village-level Case Study’ at the ‘Sociological Research Colloquium’. Department of Sociology, University of Delhi. October 18, 2019.
- ‘Access to Drinking Water in Indian Villages: A Study of Social Disparities and Factors’ at the British Sociological Association (BSA) Annual Conference 2019 ‘Challenging Social Hierarchies and Inequalities’ held at the Glasgow Caledonian University organised by the British Sociological Association (BSA), London, UK. April 24-26, 2019.
- Resource person for ‘Methods of Collecting Village Level Information’ in workshop on ‘Official Data and Statistics on Wage and Employment with Special Reference to Rural Women’ organised by the Indian Statistical Institute, Bengaluru. January 25-26, 2019.
- ‘Financial Inclusion and Exclusion of Marginal and Small Farmers in India: Findings from Secondary Data’, at the 77th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, Central Agricultural University, CPGS, Barapani, Meghalaya. Organised by the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, Mumbai. October 12-14, 2017.
- ‘Housing and Labour Relations in Rural Rajasthan: A Village Case Study’ paper presented at the Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Labour Economics, Guwahati, Assam organised by the Indian Society of Labour Economics (ISLE), New Delhi. November 24-26, 2016.