Prof. Sunil Rajpal
Ph.D. in Economics from Central University of Gujarat; ICSSR Doctoral Fellow from Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi University, Delhi; M.Phil in Economics from Central University of Gujarat; M.A in Applied Economics from Bundelkhand University; B.Com from University of Allahabad.
Assistant Professor - Economics
Prof. Sunil Rajpal is Assistant Professor – Economics at FLAME University. He received his Doctorate Degree in Economics from Central University of Gujarat and was affiliated as an ICSSR Doctoral Fellow at the Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi. He has completed MPhil in Economics from Central University of Gujarat, MA in Applied Economics from Bundelkhand University, Jhansi and his graduation in Commerce from University of Allahabad.
Prof. Sunil has over two years of experience and was associated with IIHMR, Jaipur, Tata Trusts, A. A Patel Commerce College and Central University of Gujarat.
Prof. Sunil’s research interest includes Health Economics, Maternal and Child Nutrition, Development Economics and Demography. His Ph.D. research focuses on examining distributional inequalities in elderly survival across different socioeconomic groups and assessing economic burden of healthcare among elderly in India. His research work has appeared in national and international journals including Economic and Political Weekly, Scientific Reports (Nature), Social Indicators Research, Social Science and Medicine, Health Policy and Planning, Maternal and Child Nutrition, PLOS One and Asian Population Studies. He is currently involved in research on social determinants of maternal and child nutrition and household healthcare financing.
In his spare time, he enjoys playing basketball and table tennis.
- Joe W, Kumar A, Rajpal Sunil, et al. Infrastructure for Delivery of Integrated Child Development Services and Uptake of Pre-school Education Services: Insights from Palghar, India. Journal of Development Policy and Practice. 2021;6(1):36-56. doi:10.1177/2455133321999852
- Kumar S, Rajpal Sunil, Lu SY, Joe W. Why Market Orientation Matters for Agriculture and Fishery Workers? Unravelling the Association between Occupational Background and Caloric Deprivation in India. 2021.https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-021-10644-9
- Rajpal Sunil, J Kim, R Kim, William Joe and SV Subramanian. Small area variation in child undernutrition across 640 districts and 543 parliamentary constituencies in India. Scientific Reports. 2021. 11: 4558. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-83992-6
- Rajpal Sunil, Kim R, Liou, L. et al. Does the Choice of Metric Matter for Identifying Areas for Policy Priority? An Empirical Assessment Using Child Undernutrition in India. Social Indicators Research (2020).https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-020-02467-9
- Rajpal Sunil, Joe W, Subramanian S V. “Living on the edge? Sensitivity of child undernutrition prevalence to bodyweight shocks in the context of the 2020 national lockdown strategy in India”. J Glob Health Sci 2020, 2, 2: e19.https://doi.org/10.35500/jghs.2020.2.e19
- Rajpal Sunil.; Kim R.; Joe W.; Subramanian SV. Stunting among Preschool Children in India: Temporal Analysis of Age-Specific Wealth Inequalities. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 4702.https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17134702
- Joe W, Kumar A, Rajpal Sunil, Mishra US, Subramanian SV. Equal risk, unequal burden? Gender differentials in COVID-19 mortality in India. Journal of Global Health Science. 2020 May 14;2(1).https://doi.org/10.35500/jghs.2020.2.e17
- Rajpal Sunil, Joe W, Subramanyam MA, Sankar R, Sharma S, Kumar A, Kim R, Subramanian SV. Utilization of integrated child development services in India: programmatic insights from national family health survey, 2016. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020 Jan;17(9):3197.https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17093197
- Rajpal Sunil, Joe W, Kim R, Kumar A and Subramanian SV (2020) Child Undernutrition and Convergence of Multisectoral Interventions in India: An Econometric Analysis of National Family Health Survey 2015–16. Front. Public Health 8:129. DOI: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.00129https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2020.00129/full
- Rajpal Sunil, Kumar Abhishek, Joe William. 2018. Economic burden of cancer in India: Evidence from cross-sectional nationally representative household survey, 2014. PLoS ONE 13(2): e0193320.https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0193320
- Joe William and Sunil Rajpal. 2018. Unravelling the Socioeconomic Gradient in the Incidence of Catastrophic Healthcare Expenditure: A Comment. Health Policy and Planning. https://academic.oup.com/heapol/advancearticle/doi/10.1093/heapol/czy026/4956817?guestAccessKey=bb038eab-ee7f-43b1-b939-1162d4c4c0f9
- Joe William, Jessica M Perkins, Saroj Kumar, Sunil Rajpal, S V Subramanian. 2018. Institutional delivery in India, 2004–14: Unravelling the equity-enhancing contributions of the public sector, Health Policy and Planning. czy029, https://doi.org/10.1093/heapol/czy029 https://academic.oup.com/heapol/advance-article/doi/10.1093/heapol/czy029/4962123
- Joe William, Abhishek Kumar and Sunil Rajpal. 2018. Swimming Against the Tide: Economic Growth and Demographic Dividend in India. Asian Population Studies. Routledge. 14 (2): 211-227. https://doi.org/10.1080/17441730.2018.1446379
- Joe William, Rajpal Sunil, SV Subramanian et al. 2019. Association between Anthropometric-based and Food-based Nutritional Failure among Children: Evidence from NNMB Urban Nutrition Study 2015, India. Maternal and Child Nutrition. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12830
- Kim Rockli, Sunil Rajpal, William Joe, Daniel J Corsi, Rajan Sankar, Alok Kumar, Vinod K Paul and SV Subramanian. Assessing Associational Strength of 23 Correlates of Child Anthropometric Failure: An Econometric Analysis of the 2016 National Family Health Survey, India. 2019. Social Science and Medicine. 238, 112374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2019.112374
Research Publications: Indian Journals
- Rajpal Sunil, Kim R, Sankar R, Kumar A, Joe W, Subramanian S V. 2020. Frequently asked questions on child anthropometric failures in India. Economic & Political Weekly. 55, 8: 59-64.https://www.epw.in/journal/2020/6/national-family-health-survey-4/frequently-asked-questions-child-anthropometric.html
- Rajpal Sunil and William Joe. 2017. On the Convergence Puzzle. Economic and Political Weekly. 52. 12: 149-150.http://www.epw.in/journal/2017/12/commentary/convergence-puzzle.html
- Rajpal Sunil and William Joe. 2018. Measuring Catastrophic Healthcare Expenditure in National Health Policy, 2017. Economic and Political Weekly. https://www.epw.in/journal/2018/32/commentary/measuring-catastrophic-healthcare.html
- Joe William, Shalini Rudra, Rajpal Sunil and SV Subramanian. 2018. Persistent Intersectional Inequalities in the Prevalence of Childhood Stunting in India: Evidence from NFHS 2005-06 and 2015-16. IER Journal of Health and Demography. 4(1): 24-37. ISSN: 2454-9207
- Rajpal Sunil and Indira Dutta. 2015. Demographic Transition in Gujarat: An Overview’. IER Journal of Health and Demography. 1. 1: 10-20. ISSN: 2454-9207.
Working Papers / Reports Published
- Joe W, Kumar A, Kumar R, Rajpal Sunil, Subramanian SV. “COVID-19 in India: Epidemic Growth and Impact on Maternal and Child Health”. IEG Insights 2020: Fighting COVID-19: Assessments and Reflections. (2020). May. Institute of Economic Growth. Delhi. 38-46.
- Rajpal Sunil, Kim Rockli, Sankar Rajan, Kumar Alok, Joe William and Subramanian S V. 2018. FAQs on Child Anthropometric Failures in India: Insights from the National Family Health Survey 2015-16. Harvard Centre for Population and Development Studies Working Paper Series. 18(3):1-42.https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-ontent/uploads/sites/1266/2018/12/Volume_18_No-3.pdf
- Kim R, Swaminathan A, Swaminathan G, Kumar R, Rajpal Sunil, Blossom J, Joe W, Subramanian S V. Parliamentary Constituency Factsheet for Indicators of Nutrition, Health and Development in India. Working paper. https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1266/1266/20/Estimates-for-Nutrition-Health-and-Development-Indicators-20192.pdf
- Blossom J, Kumar R, Kim R, Swaminathan A, Swaminathan G, Rajpal Sunil, Joe W, Subramanian S V. 2019. Visualizing Parliamentary Constituency Factsheet for Indicators of Nutrition, Health and Development in India. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Center for Geographic Analysis and Center for Population and Development Studies. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/population-development/indiapcfactsheets/
- Joe W., Rajpal Sunil., Kumar R., Rudra S., Agrawal S., Kim R & Subramanian S.V. Health, Education and Livelihoods: Thrust Areas for Transformation of Aspirational Districts in India. Tata Trusts: Mumbai. India.