Prof. Shivakumar Jolad
Ph.D. in Physics and Doctoral minor in Demography from The Pennsylvania State University, USA; MS in Physics from Texas A&M University, USA
Associate Professor, Public Policy
Prof. Shivakumar’s primary research interests are Data analytics, Education policy, and Human development. He studies the structural challenges faced by the government schools and examines ways to reorganize school system for better functionality. In recent years, he has worked on drain of enrollment in government schools in Karnataka, school consolidation, Right to Education, and learning level crisis.
He received his PhD in theoretical condensed matter Physics and doctoral minor in Demography from Pennsylvania State University, PA, USA. Prior to joining FLAME, Jolad taught courses in Physics, education history and policy, and demographic methods for graduate and undergraduate students at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Gandhinagar. In Public health, Jolad has worked on modelling epidemic spreading in urban areas, and health services access and utilization. He is one of the co-authors of Ahmedabad District Human Development Report 2016.
Apart from academic work, Jolad has worked with several Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) such as Akshara Foundation, Pratham, People’s Health Movement (PHM)-India and AID-India on projects related to public health and elementary education.
- Report: Restructuring government schools in Karnataka, Akshara Foundation, Jan, 2019.
- Chakresh Kumar Singh and Shivakumar Jolad, Structure and Evolution of Indian Physics Co-authorship Networks, Scientometrics, Jan 2019.
- Shivakumar Jolad, Restructuring the schooling system in India, Ideas for India, May 07, 2018.
- Shivakumar Jolad and K Vaijayanti, India needs to restructure its government schools to prevent its collapse, Vikalpa (The Journal for Decision Makers), March 2018.
- Murali Krishna Enduri, Shivakumar Jolad, Dynamics of Dengue with human and vector mobility, Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology, Volume 25, June 2018, Pages 57-66