Prof. Joyita Roy Chowdhury
Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Utah, USA. M.S. in Economics from the University of Utah, USA. M.Phil. in Development Studies with Economics; M.Sc. in Economics; B.Sc. in Economics Honors from the University of Calcutta, Kolkata.
Assistant Professor - Economics
Prof. Joyita Roy Chowdhury is an Assistant Professor of Economics at FLAME University. She holds a Ph.D. degree and an M.S. in Economics from the University of Utah, USA.
She holds an M.Phil. degree in Development Studies and Economics, an MSc degree in Economics, a BSc degree in Economics (Honors), all from the University of Calcutta, Kolkata.
Before joining FLAME, she was a Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics at Hobart and William Smith Colleges, New York. She taught courses on Microeconomic Theory and Policy, Intermediate Microeconomics, Economics and Gender, and Principles of Economics. She also advised students enrolled in Independent Study in Gender Economics. Overall, she has six years of teaching experience in the United States and two years of teaching experience in India.
Her teaching interests include Microeconomics, Behavioral Economics, Applied Econometrics, Development Economics, Labor and Gender, Environmental Economics, and Sustainability. In her teaching, she exposes her students to diverse economic perspectives because pluralist thinking in economics helps us better understand real-world issues.
Prof. Roy Chowdhury’s research interests lie in the areas of applied microeconomics with a particular focus on the role of institutions in addressing resource and environmental issues. She applies different research methods and uses multiple perspectives of economics to study micro-development issues. She collects survey data and conducts behavioral experiments in rural villages with real-world subjects. Also, she analyzes longitudinal data on current economic problems and uses it to contribute to social and economic change. Her recent research examines the labor market impacts of natural disasters, focusing on gender issues and rural households in India. In addition to her main research topics, she has also written co-authored papers on the economics of natural disasters, crime and economic development, and tourism economics; some of them are already published in peer-reviewed journals.
As a Ph.D. Candidate at the University of Utah, she received research grants for her projects, fellowships, scholarships, and travel grants. She was awarded a conference travel funding by the Center for Environmental Politics, University of Washington, Seattle. She received the Doctoral Completion Fellowship for her doctoral dissertation titled, Collective Action Dilemmas, and Coping with Environmental Shocks: Empirical Analysis from Rural India.
To see a detailed list of my publications, please click HERE
PEER-REVIEWED PUBLISHED WORK
- “An empirical analysis of the effect of floods on rural agricultural wages across Indian States.” 2020. World Development Perspectives. Elsevier (with Yashobanta Parida) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wdp.2020.100272
- “Do Economic Development and Disaster Adaptation Measures Reduce the Impact of Natural Disasters? A District-Level Analysis, Odisha, India.” 2020. Environment, Development and Sustainability. Springer(with Yashobanta Parida, Prarthna Goel, Prakash Sahoo, and Tapaswini Nayak) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10668-020-00728-8
- “Economic Growth in the Aftermath of Floods in Indian States.” 2020. Environment, Development and Sustainability. Springer (with Yashobanta Parida and Swati Saini) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10668-020-00595-3
- “Effects of Drought and Flood on Farmer Suicides in Indian States: An Empirical Analysis”. 2018. Economics of Disasters and Climate Change. SpringerLink. 159-180. (with Yashobanta Parida, Devi Prasad Dash, and Parul Bharadwaj). DOI: 10.1007/s41885-018-0023-8 https://ideas.repec.org/a/spr/ediscc/v2y2018i2d10.1007_s41885-018-0023-8.html
- “Effects of Economic Development and Crime on Tourism: Evidence from Indian States”. 2017. Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research. Routledge. 29(1). 63-73. (with Yashobanta Parida and Parul Bharadwaj). https://doi.org/10.1080/13032917.2017.1384742
- “Determinants of Tourism in Indian States: An Empirical Analysis”. 2017. Tourism Review. Emerald. 72(3). 330-343. (with Yashobanta Parida and Parul Bharadwaj). https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/TR-11-2016-0047
- “Impact of Terrorism on Tourism in India.” 2015. Economics Bulletin, 35(4). 2543-2557. (with Yashobanta Parida and Parul Bharadwaj)
- “Insecurities of the workers in the informal enterprises: A Study of West Bengal in comparison to Kerala”.Research in Applied Economics. Macro Think Institute. 2014. 6(3). 220-252. https://doi.org/10.5296/rae.v6i3.6005
- Review of Environment and Development Economics: Essays in Honour of Sir Partha Dasgupta edited by Scott Barrett, Karl-Goran Maler & Eric Maskin. (United Kingdom: Oxford University Press, 2014). 2015. The Social Science Journal. Elsevier.52.
PAPERS UNDER REVIEW IN ACADEMIC JOURNALS
- “Can COVID-19 Lockdown Reduce Crime Against Women? A District-Level Analysis from India”. 2020. (with Yashobanta Parida and Prarthna Goel), Revised and Resubmit at Feminist Economics
- “Collective Action in Water Resource Management: Evidence from a Survey and Public Goods Experiments.” 2020. Revision Requested
- “Does Inequality-Adjusted Human Development Reduce the Impact of Natural Disasters? A Gendered Perspective”. 2020. (with Yashobanta Parida and Prarthna Goel)
- “An Empirical Analysis of the Effect of Flood on Rural Agricultural Wages across Indian States.” 2019. (with Yashobanta Parida)
- “How Floods affect Rural Labor Markets in India: A Gender Analysis.” 2020. Department of Economics, The University of Utah (with Yashobanta Parida and Priti Agarwal)
- “Flood Shocks, Household’s Coping Strategies, and Responses: Empirical Evidence from Rural Odisha, India.” 2020. Department of Economics, The University of Utah
- “Centre-State coordination is key in mitigating impact of cyclones”, The Hindu Business Line, June 1, 2020 (with Yashobanta Parida and Parul Bhardwaj)
- “Dealing with the deluge: Floods in India”, The Telegraph, December 23, 2020 (with Prarthna Agarwal Goel and Parul Bhardwaj)
CONFERENCE AND WORKSHOP PRESENTATIONS
- 32nd Annual Conference of the European Association for Evolutionary Political Economy (EAEPE), Central Europe 2020
- Invited Lecture in Faculty Development Programme, School of Humanities and Social Sciences Guru Govind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi 2020
- 59th Annual Conference in Globalization and Development Section of Western Social Science Association (WSSA), Portland, Oregon 2020
- Utah Experimental Economics, Center for Growth and Opportunity, Utah State University 2019
- 88th Annual Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Washington, D.C 2018
- 10th Annual Western States Graduate Workshop in Economics, University of Utah, Utah 2018
- 4th Annual Workshop Environmental Politics & Governance, University of Washington, Seattle 2018
- 59th Annual Conference in Environmental Policy and Natural Resources Management
- Section of Western Social Science Association (WSSA), San Francisco, CA 2017
- Global Change and Sustainability Center, Environment & Sustainability Research Symposium, University of Utah, SLC, Utah 2017
- Global Change and Sustainability Center, Environment & Sustainability Research Symposium, University of Utah, SLC, Utah 2016
- 6th Annual Western States Graduate Workshop in Economics, University of Utah, Utah 2014
- 15th West Bengal State Science & Technology Congress, Bengal Engineering & Science University (BESU), Shibpur, West Bengal, India 2008
- Jewel J. Rasmussen Research Grant, Dept. of Economics, University of Utah 2016
- Research Grant, Global Change and Sustainability Center, University of Utah 2016
- Jewel J. Rasmussen Research Grant, Dept. of Economics, University of Utah 2015
- Research Grant, Global Change and Sustainability Center, University of Utah 2015
ACADEMIC AWARDS, FELLOWSHIP
- Graduate Student Travel Assistance Award, University of Utah 2018
- Doctoral Completion Fellowship, Dept. of Economics, University of Utah 2018-19
- Conference Funding, Center for Environmental Politics, University of Washington 2018
- Martin Harris Hiatt Memorial Scholarship, CSBS, University of Utah 2016-17
- Full Tuition Waiver and Graduate Teaching Fellowship, University of Utah 2013-17
- Endowment Foreign Travel Scholarship, University of Calcutta 2013
- M.Phil. Scholarship, Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, University of Calcutta 2011-12