Prof. Anil Zankar
Diploma in Cinema: Direction & Screenplay Writing from FTII, Pune; BA in Economics from Savitribai Phule Pune University
Associate Dean, FLAME School of Communication
Anil Zankar has 38 years of experience as a filmmaker, writer and academician. He is an alumnus of Film and Television Institute of India, Pune (FTII) and has received two national awards for writing -1. An award at the Feature Film Script Competition held by National Film Development Corporation of India, 1982 and National Award- Best Writing on Cinema [Book] for his book Cinemachi Goshta, 1997. He is a historian of cinema and a media consultant.
He has been a Visiting Faculty for FLAME University for the Media School; teaching a variety of courses in Film and Media Studies since 2007. He is a former Professor Screen Studies and Research at FTII. He has made 21 short films so far on subjects as diverse as personalities, institutions, social issues, corporate themes and historical subjects.
He has held the following teaching positions- Associate Professor, Film Direction- FTII [1980~1995]; Faculty Film – Mahindra United World College of India, IB Film Course, [2002~2005], Senior Professor Film Appreciation Whistling Woods International, Mumbai [2007~2011], Coordinator and Core Faculty - One Month Summer Film Appreciation Course at FTII [ 1981~ 2016].
He has been associated with the following institutions as Visiting Faculty/ Scholar or through Seminars
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Japan,
- University of Lodz at Lodz Poland[ 2006],
- Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla ,
- National Institute of Design,
- National School of Drama,
- Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration,
- National Centre for Performing Arts,
- Hutheesing Visual arts Centre- CEPT,
- Regional Institute of English- Chandigarh,
- University of Pune, University of Kerala, Allahabad University, Kurukshetra University, Panjab University, SNDT University;
- Xavier institute of Communication[XIC], Mumbai,
- Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication[SIMC]
- International School of Business and Media[ISBM],
- Ramoji Academy of Film and Television, Hyderabad. He has conducted film courses for Film Societies in many states of India.
He has been a member of syllabus committee that designed syllabi for Film course for International Baccalaureate (in Cardiff, UK, 2003). He conceptualized the Mass Media Studies Course for Central Board of School Examinations (STDs XI and XII CBSE, India) in 2010-2011 and was Principal author/Coordinator of the Readers for the course.
Project coordination and management
- Coordinator of the project – Films for Human Development a project financed by UNDP and supported and overseen by The Planning Commission of India at FTII [ 2005~2006].
- 30 documentaries on issues of Human Development were made and a media policy was framed for the use of this material by the State governments.
- Was Course Director of the Four weeks long Summer Film Appreciation Course 2016 in FTII (May- June 2016).
- He worked as Joint Director of Pune International Film Festival [PIFF] 2005-2009.
- He has been a Member of the Jury for Indian Panorama section for International film Festival of India [IFFI], Goa in 2010 and in 2013.
- Jury – Indywood International Film Festival 2016, Hyderabad. He was invited to speak at Pune Literary Festival [2013, 2014, 2015], Goa Arts and Literary Festival, Panjim , Taj Literature Festival, Agra 2013] and Non Fiction Festival, Mumbai .
- He is currently a member of the Advisory Committee of the Vishwakosh (Encyclopaedia) project of Government of Maharashtra for Film.
He is currently working on a documentary on the life and work of Prof. Jayant V.Narlikar for Sahitya Akademi.
Independent Books –
- Cinemachi Goshta [‘Story of Cinema’- History of World Cinema in Marathi], Rajhans Prakashan, 1997.
- Mughal e Azam - Legend as Epic - HarperCollins India, 2013.
- (Due for publication in December 2018) Daastaan E Mumbai – A book on Mumbai City as seen in Literature and Indian films for HarperCollins India.
Chapters and Sections in Books – International Publications – Peer reviewed
- Good versus Evil (a chapter on the study of villains in Hindi films)- The Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema (Encyclopaedia Britannica, Popular Prakashan, 2003)
- Changing Eyes of the Beholder [ a chapter on study of characters in different arts and media historically] Bulletin of the Deccan College, Pune Volumes 62-63, 2002~2003
- Scriptwriting – In and out of the box, [a chapter On Screenwriting] Routledge Handbook On Indian Cinema, Routledge, UK, 2013
- Shakespeare, Cinema and Indian Poetics – A chapter in the Anthology "Shakespeare in Indian Cinemas" due for Publication in October 2018 Routledge, UK.
Textbook – CBSE Textbook for Mass Media course 2010-2011-
Essays, articles and Editorial work
- Editor of Lights Camera Action - a magazine on media [cinema\TV\ad-films] published from Mumbai in association with 'Sight and Sound' of British Film Institute, London. [2000~ 2001]
- Essays and articles [more than 80] for various journals and newspapers in Marathi and English on Film, Television and mass media.
- Translations of poems, interviews and articles from Russian, English into Marathi. Poems- Pasternak, Pushkin, Wordsworth, Godard Articles and interviews- Tarkovsky, Zanussi, Brecht, Ibsen. One Act Play of Gogol. Subtitled Tarkovsky’s film Ivan’s Childhood for National Film Archive of India.
Radio - Wrote and presented a 13 parts series Kaleidoscope presenting the highlights of International Cinema for AIR, Pune (February 16 ~ May 11- 2015)