Dr. Dwarika Prasad Uniyal
GloColl-PCL, Harvard Business School, USA
International Programme on Development-Carleton University, Canada
Ph.D. in Management from Dharamsinh Desai University, Gujarat
MBA in Marketing from Mohan Lal Sukhadia University, Rajasthan
B.S in Computer Science from Mohan Lal Sukhadia University, Rajasthan
Professor - Marketing & Dean - Faculty of Business
Professor Uniyal comes with rich and varied experience of more than 20 years in premier academic institutions and industry. His last assignment was with IIM Kashipur as Assistant Dean where he headed the Dehradun campus and managed the complete spectrum of Executive Education. He was one of the founding faculty members of IIM Kashipur and was instrumental in scaling up its operations, create the industry and global outreach. In an academic career spanned over two decades, Professor Uniyal taught at premier Business Schools like MICA, Ahmedabad, SPJIMR, Mumbai and SP Jain School of Global Management in Dubai where as the founding faculty and HOD he helped set up the Dubai campus and ran its operations for first two batches.
At MICA he was instrumental in creating two programmes, PG Diploma in Retail Communications Management and PGPCMX (a programme for working executives). After his stints in MICA and SPJIMR, he took an interesting assignment to create a new business school from scratch at Himachal Pradesh as the Founding Dean and started Chitkara Business School.
He did many experiments including creation of first student led business incubator Walk The Talk !
Before joining IIM Kashipur in the founding faculty group, Professor Uniyal was part of O P JINDAL Global University as the Founding Assistant Dean of JINDAL Global Business School. He created the business school as a greenfield project, recruited faculty members from around the world and ran its operations for three years.
In the past he had been invited by Govt. of India to serve as Professor of Management in India's premier Academy LBSNAA, Mussoriee to train India's Civil Servants. He was also nominated by Govt. of India as national expert in Retailing in Asian Productivity Organization, Tokyo.
Professor Uniyal serves on the board of Braithwaite & Co Ltd, a CPSE in the Ministry of Railways as an Independent Director. He is also an Hon. Chairman of the Advisory Board of social enterprise RANMIR Foundation working in the space of handloom fashion across 7 states. He also serves on the Board of Management of leading academic institutes in Uttarakhand and is on the advisory boards of few start-up firms of his ex-students and mentors them regularly.
Over the years he has been invited to deliver keynotes lectures and conduct workshops and corporate training programmes across US, UK, Middle East, Japan, China, South East Asia and India. As a visiting faculty he has taught at many top business schools across India and abroad. He incubated two companies of his students in the past and ran businesses in retailing and analytics. He is mentor and advisor for many young start-ups. Before he started his academic career, Professor Uniyal dabbled in Radio, advertising and retailing.
Professor Uniyal has published widely in globally ranked journals in the area of Retailing, shopping behavior, consumer behaviour, entrepreneurship and social marketing. He is Editorial Advisor to V J Media and writes a monthly column for POP Today and Retail4growth.com by the name Business On The Street. He has contributed articles in leading business dailies and magazines in the past.
- Sinha P K and Uniyal D P, “Managing Retailing 3/e, Oxford University Press, 2018
- Kabiraj Sajal, and Uniyal D P, 2013, "Service Quality Measurement Effectiveness for Banks: Strategic Implications in the Chinese Context", International Journal of Qualitative Research in Services
- Uniyal D P, 2013, “An Exploratory Approach to Develop a New Scale to Measure the Construct of Shopping Involvement” Journal for Global Business Advancement, Vol. 5, No. 3
- Kabiraj Sajal and Uniyal D P, 2012, “A Co-evolutionary Model as a Collaborative Mechanism for the Business Exchange in the High Technology Industrial Value Chain” Jindal Journal of Business Research, Vol. 1, No. 2, December 2012, Page 193-207, Sage Publications
- Uniyal D P and Sarkar Swagato, 2012 “Internationalization of retail businesses and can FDI redefine the retail environment in India?” A special report on FDI in Retailing, Jindal University Press, India.
- Uniyal D P, 2011, “An experimental study on the role of store benefit and information search by shoppers towards in-store communication”, Journal of Global Business Advancement, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2011, Page 242-259
- T. Matsuura, Uniyal D.P, H Joewono, K H Rhee, R Idris, S Simma, K Pheeraphong, 2009, April, “Productivity in the Service Sector: Retail Industry: Recent Trends and Prospects for APO Member Countries”, Asian Productivity Organization, Tokyo
- Uniyal D P and Amrita V, 2007, January, “Concept of a MALL: Measuring Attitude and Perception of shoppers towards the Malls of Mumbai” Indian Retail Review, Vol.1, Issue 1.
- Sinha P K and Uniyal D P, 2005, Dec-Jan “Segmenting shoppers on behaviour” Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services (JRCS), Vol. 12, Issue 1, Page 35-48.
- Sinha P K, Banerjee A and Uniyal D P, 2002, April – June "Deciding where to buy: Store choice behaviour of Indian shoppers, "Vikalpa" Management Journal, IIM Ahmedabad, Vol. 27, Issue 2., Page 13-27.
- Uniyal D P, “ Impact of new technology on Shop, shopping & shopper”, MOI University, Eldoret, Kenya, Nov, 2017
- Uniyal D P, “Marketing Indian Industry in 2020”, India Global Conference, University of Denver, 10-11th June, 2017
- Sharma Rajat and Uniyal D P, “Increasing Choices for Consumers-an empowerment or confusion: Can it be culturally determined”, Emerging Markets Conference, 2015, 20-22 January, 2015
- Nakul Gupta, M P Jaiswal, Radha Sharma, Dwarika Prasad Uniyal, “Emergence of Digital Enterprises”, BIT-2014 Conference, University of Auckland, 27-28th March, 2014
- Uniyal D P, “An exploratory approach to develop a new scale to measure the construct of Shopping Involvement”, DUFE World Congress, Dalian University of Finance and Economics, Dalian China, 15-17 September, 2011.
- Uniyal D P, “An experimental study on the role of Store Benefit and Information Search by Shopper towards In-Store Communication”, 6th Annual London Business Research Conference, Imperial College, London, UK, 11 & 12 July
- Uniyal D P, “POP Communication: Role of Information Search and Store Benefit”, 7th Academy for Global Business Advancement World Congress 2010, Malaysia, Dec 1-3, 2010.
- Uniyal D P, “ Indian Retailing: Growth and Productivity issues”, presentation at the coordination committee meeting of National Experts organised by Asian Productivity Organization , Tokyo, Japan, Nov, 2007.
- Uniyal D P, “Private Label Brands: Challenges and Strategies for Retailers and Marketers” Key note speech at Seminar, Private Label Middle East, Dubai, UAE, Oct, 2007.
- Sinha P K and Uniyal D P “ Measuring Shopping Involvement: a scale development approach” at “International Conference on Research issues in Marketing” IIM Ahmedabad, January, 2007
- Uniyal D P and Amrita V, “Attitude and perception towards Malls” at IIM Ahmedabad’s International Marketing Conference, January, 2005
- Sinha P K and Uniyal D P “Segmenting shoppers on behaviour" at the10th International Conference on Recent Advances in Retailing and Consumer Services Science, Portland, Oregon, USA, August 2003