Prof. Debasis Rooj
Ph.D. in Economics from Northern Illinois University, USA; M.Sc. in Economics; B.Sc. in Economics Honors
Associate Professor – Economics
Debasis Rooj is Associate Professor of Economics at the FLAME University. Before joining FLAME, he was Associate Fellow at the Institute for Human Development, Ranchi, India. He has over 14 years of teaching experience both in the US and India. Debasis has taught macroeconomics, business mathematics, and econometrics at the undergraduate level and financial econometrics, marketing analytics, and operational research at the post-graduate levels. Dr. Rooj extensively imbibes real-life examples and data analysis in his teaching.
Dr. Rooj’s current research includes exploring the dynamic macroeconomic linkages in India’s housing and tourism market. He has recently co-authored a paper that provides deep insight into India’s health insurance market with significant policy implications. In his other work, he uses mixed frequency regression analysis and shows that monetary policy has a limited role in India’s private investment growth. Debasis has presented his research in several national and international conferences. He has also provided research support for the
Economic Survey of Jharkhand 2015-16 & 2018-19, Government of Jharkhand and was also a part of a Government of Jharkhand sponsored evaluation program on creating awareness about protecting environment and biodiversity.
His Ph.D. dissertation at Northern Illinois University, USA explored the simultaneous linkages between the macro-economy and financial market using a production-based DSGE model with long-run stochastic shocks. His paper titled Asset Pricing Implications in a Production Economy with an Investment-Specific Technology Shock won second prize at the Ph.D. Students’ Thesis Competition organized by the Illinois Economic Association, Illinois in 2010. He was also the recipient of outstanding teaching assistant award by the department of economics, NIU.
- Sengupta, R. and D, Rooj, (2016), An Econometric Analysis on the Effect of Janani Suraksha Yojana on the Utilisation of Antenatal Care by Women from Different Socio-Economic and Demographic Backgrounds in P. Sigamani, N. U. Khan and G Ramachandran, (2016), Public Health Infrastructure in Transition, (eds), New Delhi, Bloomsbury Publishers India Pvt. Limited, ISBN:978-93-85936-22-7, pages 86-111.
- Sengupta, R. & D, Rooj, (2013), Can Poor Health in the Family Affect Individuals’ Labour Supply Decisions? Indian Journal of Research, ISSN: 2231-6655.
- Sengupta, R. & D, Rooj (2013), Assessing the Impact of School Quality on School Dropouts: A Study of Schools in the Saharanpur District of Uttar Pradesh, Education and Health, Special Focus on Uttar Pradesh, E&H Foundation and Glocal University Collaboration, The Glocal University Press, ISSN: 2347-5072
- Bayesian Estimation of a Dynamic Asset Pricing Model With Long-Run Risk, September 2013 at 13th International Conference on “Emerging Trends, Challenges & Opportunities in Global Business, Management, Tourism & Information Technology” (IC- GBMTI-2013), Goa, India
- Assessing the Impact of School Quality on School Dropout Rates: A Study of Schools in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh, October 2013 at E &H conference, The Glocal University, Saharanpur, India
- Implications in a Production Economy with an Investment Specific Technology Shock, Nov 2010 at Southern Economic Association, GA, USA
- Bayesian Estimation of a Dynamic Asset Pricing Model with Long-Run Risk, Oct 2010 at Illinois Economics Association, IL, USA
- Asset Pricing Implications in a Production Economy with an Investment Specific Technology Shock, Oct 2010 at Midwest Economic Association, IL, USA
- Asset Pricing Implications in a Production Economy with an Investment Specific Technology Shock, Dec 2009 at Northern Illinois University, IL, USA
- Jharkhand Economic Survey 2015-16, Department of Finance, Government of Jharkhand (r esearch contribution: Macroeconomic Overview, Public Finance, Labour and Employment and Education )
- Evaluation of Harit Chetna Abhiyan, Department of Forest, Government of Jharkhand (survey design, questionnaire development, analytics and report writing)
- Principal Data Collector, Impact of Reservation Policy on Underprivileged Population of West-Bengal, India, 2002-2003, University Grants Commission
- Principles of Economics, N. Gregory Mankiw, 2014, Cengage Learning
- Principles of Economics by Dirk Mateer and Lee Coppock, 2014, W.W. Norton