Prof. Debananda Misra
EdD in Education, Practice and Society, University College of London; MBA, University of Oxford; M.S, University of California, Berkeley ; B.Tech, IIT, Kharagpur.
Associate Professor – Public Policy
He is interested in studying various aspects related to higher education (HE) at National, international and organisational levels. In particular, he examines the relationship of HE institutions with their surrounding regions and communities and how HE institutions contribute to the social, cultural and economic development at the regional and national levels. His doctoral dissertation examined the role of regions in the development of new public universities in India.
Beyond HE institutions, he is also interested in how organisations embrace ‘publicness‘ and is keen on the hybrid nature of organisations and how it allows them to go beyond their core functions to engage with communities, Governments and public to achieve both business growth and deliver social/public impact. His detailed profile is at https://misradeb.org.
Deb is involved in research projects related to higher education, policy and community engagement. He was awarded the UCL Grand Challenges grant for organising two workshop in India on collaboration between universities and cities. The workshops were attended by over 40 faculty members and researcher from different universities in India. For a list of ongoing projects and working papers, please visit https://misradeb.org/research
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
- Misra, D. (2019). A path dependent analysis of the effect of location on the development of new universities. Higher Education (), 1-16. Online First. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-019-00480-7
- Moran, E. and Misra, D. (2018). Professional Doctorates: A Pathway to Legitimacy for Non-Academic HE Professionals? London Review of Education 16(1), 75–89. https://doi.org/10.18546/LRE.16.1.08
- Misra, D. (2015). University Knowledge Spillover Effects on Entrepreneurship: An Exploratory Study of Indian Entrepreneurs. South Asian Journal of Management 22(4), 29–62.
BOOKS/BOOK CHAPTERS/ BOOK REVIEWS
- Urban and Academic Collaboration in India: Building Relationships between Cities and Universities. Edited by Misra, D. and Leverone, C. R. Palgrave Macmillan. Upcoming in October 2020.
- Misra, D. (2017). Book review: Leading and Managing Indigenous Education in the Postcolonial World. Management in Education 31(2), 103–103. May 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/0892020616679777
- Opinion piece: Locations limit new public universities impact in India. World Policy Section. Times Higher Education. February 2019. Link to article.
- Report: Moving Towards Knowledge Based Economy: Basic Imperatives & Agenda for Reforms. Published by the Confederation of Indian Industries. August 2015. Download report here.
- Journal article: Misra, D., Sundararajan, V., and Wright, P. K. (2005). Zig-zag tool path generation for sculptured surface. Geometric and Algorithmic Aspects of Computer-Aided Design and Manufacturing, 265. Link to article here.
Conference paper: Wright, P. K., Dornfeld, D. A., Sundararajan, V., and Misra, D. (2004). Tool path planning generation for finish machining of freeform surfaces in the cybercut process planning pipeline. Transactions of NAMRI/SME, 32, 159-166.