Prof. Sameer Dublay
M.A. in Music from Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune; M.A. in Political Science; NET cleared in Music
Associate Professor – Music
Sameer Dublay is a Professional vocalist in Hindustani Classical Music tradition.
He has learnt basics from Pandit Rambhau Mate from the year 1978 to 1988 and went on to take advance training in performance theory and technique with Pandit Jitendra Abhisheki, one of the great masters of Agra Gharana in 1989.
After year 2000 till 2011 learnt with Dr. Ashok Da. Ranade, the great Musician and musicologist.
He is the Top Ranker at Graduation and Post graduation in Politics from Pune University and he also went on to become a Top Ranker in Masters in Music as well.
Sameer is a Qualified University Lecturer in Music after passing National Eligibility Test, NET, Conducted by University Grants Commission, New Delhi. He is currently pursuing Ph. D in Music from IGNOU New Delhi.
- Sameer has been giving solo concerts regularly since 1991.He has extensively performed right across the country, including some major cities like Pune, Mumbai, Baroda, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore, Lucknow, Bhopal, Jamshedpur, Nasik,Kolhapur,Begaluru, Ludhiana etc.
- He has also performed extensively in US, Canada, New Zealand, Bangkok, and Istanbul etc.
- Sameer has Composed music for several Marathi Plays and a few films, and has many albums to his credit.
- Debut audio-cassette titled Emanation produced in 2000 by Shivranjani Auvios, a leading music company in Pune, India
- An album based on the Saint poetry in mahatashtra titled “Amha Ghari Dhana Shabdanchich Ratne” published by Chaitanyavedh, Pune. in 2003
- Participated as Singer in “Sakalanche Soyare” a CD project of Saint Poetry of Maharashtra, Conceived and composed by Dr. Ashok Da Ranade. In 2007
- Participated as Singer in “Kala Ganesh” a CD project about Lord Ganesh as perceived by the musical tradition of India, conceived and composed by Dr. Ashok Da Ranade in 2008.
- “ Sameer Dublay- Live in Concert” Album of Khayal singing, published in 2008
- Participated as Singer in “Raamgaane” a CD project about Lord Raam as perceived by the musical tradition of India, conceived and composed by Dr. Ashok Da Ranade in 2008.
- Musical composition and production of four Marathi (language) poetic programmes.
- Worked as Music Director for Eight full length and eighteen one act plays in Marathi and Hindi for prominent institutes including National School of Drama. This also gave an opportunity to work with eminent personalities such as Pandit Satyadev Dubey.
- Composed back ground Music for “ Jab Din Chale Na Raat Chale” a Feature film by Tripurari Sharan for FTII Pune.
Research Papers and creative research Projects
- Prepared and presented a paper on “Music and Social Sciences” at the National Seminar on Aesthetics in Music and theatre in November 2008 organized by Department of Philosophy S.P. College , Pune .
- Worked as anchor for a seminar of articles on “ Changing Society- Art and the Artist” conducted for Mauj Diwali Ank, a prestigious Marathi periodical for Diwali 2011. Wrote an article on the topic.
- Prepared and presented a paper on “ Music education” at a national seminar on Music Education- innovative Practices at Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Deparment of music Agra in February 2013.
- Has worked as Co- Director for an inter-traditional collaborative music project, “Dhvani- Sutras” conceived and directed by Prof. Sandeep Bhagwati, an eminent Music composer in western Music. The CD is published by Concordia University, Montreal in 2015/16
- Participated in 21st CM, a symposium on 21st century Musician held at DePauw University , Indianapolis in September 2016.
- Has Participated as a vocalist in another new Music Project “ Niemandslandshymnen” or “ Anthems of no Man’s land” , composed and Directed by Prof. Sandeep Bhagwati. It was organized by Society for contemporary Music of Quebek, in Montreal Canada. In 2017.
- Has participated as Vocalist in a “New music ‘ Festival ‘Turbulenzen’ Held in Berlin in December 2017. The proect title was “ Zungenmusiken” or Tongue Music.
- Prepared and presented Paper on “ Dhvanisutras” along with Prof. Sandeep Bhagwati at “ Inter-traditional Music Day Seminar at University of Montreal on 23rd May 2017.
- Prepared and presented a paper on “Dr. Ashok Da Ranade, the trendsetter in Musical Analysis” In the Indian Music and Dance: The Absence of Critical Attention and Analysis National Seminar At IIAS – 4th to 6th September 2017.
- Prepared and presented a paper on “Music as a profession:Understanding multiple dimensions” at the National Seminar organized by Lalit Narayan Mithila University Darbhanga on 17th March 2018.
- Prepared and presented a paper on “Music and Theatre Traditions in Maharashtra” at the International Litfest MILAP organized by Manipal University Udipi on 7th September 2018 where was invited as a resource person.
- Co-directed two raag based research projects culminating into a performance, namely, “ Saarang –Rang” and “Bhairav- Darshan” in 2018.
- Worked as Co- Director for the research creation project Titled “ Ecstasies of Influence” Conceived and directed by Prof. Sandeep Bhagwati, renowned Music composer from Concordia University Montreal Canada , in August 2019 hosted at FLAME University.
- He has received Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Smriti Pratishthan Scholarship for classical music from 1993 through 1997.
- He is also the recipient of the Junior Fellowship in Indian Music awarded by H.R.D. Ministry Department of Culture, Government of India 1997-1999
- He is also a recipient of the Senior Research Fellowship awarded by H.R.D. Ministry Department of Culture, GoI. For 2014-16
- He is Founder Member of The Indian Voice Association, an organization of professional voice users, working in the field of Voice and vocal Hygiene established in 1995
- Received ‘Indian Musicology Award’ for the year 2019, given by Indian Musicological society. It is a national level award.
- Presently working as Associate Professor of Music at FLAME University, Pune.
Other Musical Activities
Sameer is Co-founder of the “Society for Performing Entrepreneurs and Conscious Training towards understanding Music, popularly known as SPECTRUM, As the name suggests, this organization is engaged in consciously imparting basic musical understanding to listeners of classical music, through a well-designed Music Acquaintance Program. An Interactive CD ROM set titled GAAN JIDNYASA is published by Spectrum which teaches the basics of Indian Classical Music.