Prof. Hrishikesh Chandanpurkar
Ph.D. in Earth System Science from University of California, Irvine, USA; M.S. from University of California, Irvine, USA; Post Graduate Diploma in Geoinformatics from Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, Pune; M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences from Savitribai Phule Pune University; B.Sc. in Geology from Savitribai Phule Pune University.
Fellow - Centre of Earth & Environment
Prof. Hrishikesh Chandanpurkar is Fellow at the Centre for Earth and Environment at FLAME University and he received his Doctoral Degree in Earth System Science from University of California, Irvine, USA. He also holds a Master’s Degree in Environmental Science and Bachelor’s Degree in Geology from University of Pune, India.
Prof. Hrishikesh is a Research Scientist at University of Saskatchewan, Canada. Before this, he was a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Hydrology and Oceanography groups at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, USA, and a Research Associate in the Aerospace Engineering Department at University of Colorado, Boulder, USA. He has mentored several undergraduate and graduate students and has taught courses in climate sciences.
His research interests comprise studying large-scale water cycle changes, investigating their climatic- and human- causes, and understanding the implications of these changes on other spheres of the earth system, such as the ocean and the cryosphere, as well as the society and ecosystems. Through his research, he addresses questions such as ‘How does land hydrology influence local and global sea level?’, 'What would climate-induced intensification of regional and global water cycle look like?', ‘How does climate variability influence land water storage?’, and ‘How big are the human-driven hydrology changes in the context of natural climate variability?’. To address these questions, he combines multiple approaches such as remote sensing, field observations, and model simulations and outputs. He has published in leading journals such as Nature, Geophysical Research Letters, Journal of Climate, and Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Chandanpurkar, H. A., T. Lee, X. Wang, Z. Hong, J.T. Reager, S. Fournier, I. Fenty, I. Fukumori, D. Menemenlis, C. G. Piecuch, J. T. Reager, O. Wang, and J. Worden. (revised and resubmitted). Influence of Nonseasonal River Discharge on Sea Surface Salinity and Height, Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems
- Elder, C. D., D. R. Thompson, A. K. Thorpe, H. A. Chandanpurkar, P. J. Hanke, N. Hasson, S. R. James, B. Minsley, N. J. Pastick, D. Olefedt, K. M. W. Anthony, and C. E. Miller. (revised and resubmitted). Characterizing extreme thermokarst methane emissions from the air and the ground in interior Alaska, Global Biogeochemical Cycles
- Harvey, T., B. D. Hamlington, … H. A. Chandanpurkar, …, and C. Boening (accepted). Ocean mass, sterodynamic effects and vertical land motion largely explain US coast relative sea level rise, Nature Earth and Environment
- Cheon, S.-H., B. D. Hamlington, J. T. Reager, and H. A. Chandanpurkar (2021). ENSO-related Changes in Terrestrial Water Storage, Nature Scientific Reports, 11, 13595 (2021). doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-92729-4
- Pascolini-Campbell, M. A., J. T. Reager, H. A. Chandanpurkar, and M. Rodell (2021). A 10 per cent increase in global land evapotranspiration from 2003 to 2019, Nature, 593, 543–547. doi: 10.1038/s41586-021-03503-5
- Chandanpurkar, H. A., J. T. Reager, J. S. Famiglietti, R. S. Nerem, D. P. Chambers, M-H. Lo, B. D. Hamlington, and T. H. Syed. (2021). The seasonality of global land and ocean mass and the changing water cycle, Geophysical Research Letters, 48, e2020GL091248. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL091248
- Hamlington, B. D., C. G. Piecuch, T. J. Reager, H. A. Chandanpurkar, T. Frederikse, R. S. Nerem, J. T. Fasullo, and S.-H. Cheon. (2020). Origin of Interannual Variability in Global Mean Sea Level, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 117 (25), 13983-13990. doi: 10.1073/linas.1922190117
- Hamlington, B. D., A. Gardner, ... H. A. Chandanpurkar, …, and M. Willis. (2020). Understanding of Contemporary Regional Sea-Level Change and the Implications for the Future, Survey in Geophysics. doi: 10.1029/2019RG000672
- Chandanpurkar, H. A., J. T. Fasullo, R. S. Nerem, J. T. Reager, and J. S. Famiglietti. (2019). Nonlinear Land Storage Response to ENSO Phase and Duration, Water, 11(11), 2249. doi:10.3390/w11112249
- Purdy, A. J., C. H. David, M. S. Sikder, J. T. Reager, H. A. Chandanpurkar, N. L. Jones, and M. A. Matin. (2019). GRACE satellites observe the fingerprint of water management in Bangladesh, Front. Environ. Sci. 7:155. doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2019.00155
- Hamlington, B. D., J. T. Reager, H. A. Chandanpurkar, and K. Y. Kim. (2019). Amplitude Modulation of Seasonal Variability in Terrestrial Water Storage. Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1029/2019GL082272
- Chandanpurkar, H. A., J. T. Reager, J. S. Famiglietti, and T. H. Syed. (2017). Satellite- and reanalysis-based mass balance estimates of global continental discharge (1993-2015), Journal of Climate, 30(21), 8481-8495. doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0708.1
Selected Conference Presentations
- Chandanpurkar, H.A., X. Wang, T. Lee, Z. Hong, J.T. Reager, and S. Fournier. 2020. Influence of Non-seasonal River Discharge on the Ocean, Ocean Sciences Meeting, San Diego, USA
- Chandanpurkar, H. A., B. D. Hamlington, and J. T. Reager. 2019. Isolating human-driven trends in satellite-observed terrestrial water storage, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA
- Huda, J., J. T. Reager, H. A. Chandanpurkar. 2019. Understanding the social drivers of satellite-observed changes in freshwater availability. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA
- Chandanpurkar, H. A., J. S. Famiglietti, J. T. Reager, R. S. Nerem, D. Chambers, D. N. Wiese, and M. H. Lo. 2018. Seasonality of global land and ocean mass as a metric of global water cycle variability, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Washington D.C., USA
- Chandanpurkar, H. A., J. T. Fasullo, J. T. Reager, R. S. Nerem, and J. S. Famiglietti. 2018. Nonlinear Land Water Storage Response to Multi-Year ENSO, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society Meeting, Honolulu, USA
- Chandanpurkar, H. A, S. G. Yeager, J. T. Reager, and J. S. Famiglietti. 2016. Role of continental discharge in ocean and climate dynamics through influence on ocean salinity, Ocean Science Meeting, New Orleans, USA
- Chandanpurkar, H. A, J. T. Reager, T. H. Syed, and J. S. Famiglietti. 2014. How much continental freshwater do global oceans receive? Ocean Science Meeting, Honolulu, USA
- Chandanpurkar, H. A, and K.A. Subramanian. 2008. Odonata of Naukuchiatal, a tectonic lake in Western Himalaya, India, International Symposium of Odonatology, Nagpur, India