FLAME Investment Lab - Negotiation, Persuasion and Decision Making Program
Introduction to FLAME Investment Lab
FLAME was founded in 2004 with the concept of liberal education as its cornerstone. FLAME celebrates ideas, cherishes diversity, and strives to deliver an academic experience that fosters intellectual curiosity, a critical thought process, self-reflection, leadership and teamwork skills, a sense of commitment and professionalism and a heightened sensitivity to one’s socio-cultural environment. FLAME aims to provide an interdisciplinary platform of education by propagating different models and paradigms through, but not limited to, history, philosophy, political sciences, psychology, business, economics, mathematics and finance. FLAME comprises of four schools – FLAME School of Liberal Education, FLAME School of Business, FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of Fine & Performing Arts.
As part of its endeavor to constantly redefine education, FLAME inducted the FLAME Investment Lab (FIL), an initiative that strives to deliver the concepts and decipher the art of value investing to interested students. FIL believes in the dictum “invest in yourself”. It provides tools for self-learning and acquiring knowledge, constantly striving for intellectual stimulation and asking questions. FIL strives to widen your horizons, aiding you to connect the dots within seemingly disparate information. FIL truly believes that the best investment is investing in yourself. As Socrates has said, “I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think.”
After hosting three programs and a FIL alumni meet in June 2012, October 2012, June 2013 and January 2014, that covered topics like valuation, accounting shenanigans, investment checklists and mental heuristics amongst others, FIL brings to you, "FLAME Investment Lab – Negotiation, Persuasion and Decision Making", that aims to improve your decision making and negotiating skills in various scenarios, personal and professional.
In business, the ability to negotiate well is not merely an important skill - it is essential to success. All negotiations – whether with clients, strategic partners, merger candidates, union representatives, key employees, investors, colleagues, vendors, or service providers – require the ability to create and capture value through cooperation while fostering strong working relationships with others. Focusing on one at the expense of the other inhibits the potential for gain in any partnership. Like most other skills, the ability to perform in negotiations is determined by some combination of natural ability, experience and formal training. Yet most managers have received little or no negotiation training.
This program provides an intensive, two-day introduction to negotiation analysis and practice. The course uses negotiation simulations, case studies and group discussion to highlight practical applications of the issues discussed. By the end of the program, participants will have a conceptual framework, which will help them turn their own negotiating experience into expertise. In addition, participants will be able to transform the learning to more effectively manage client relations, avoiding systematic biases in making decisions and to more aptly navigate your position in a multi-party, multi-issue situation.
This program will be beneficial to management whose work involves negotiating with subordinates, peers, superiors and vendors. Those who seek to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of their own negotiation style and strategic habits, improve their own negotiation performance and enhance the quality of their negotiated settlements will benefit from this program.
Objectives of the program
- Improve one’s position in a negotiation, as well as the agreement terms
- Know how to protect, if not enhance, relationships with negotiation counterparts
- Manage the negotiation process more effectively
- Be able to prepare for any negotiation
- Understand how to respond to opposition in order to move a negotiation forward
- Have an improved sense of when to walk away
- Gain a more sophisticated understanding of the importance of strategic flexibility in negotiations
- Recognise the importance of contingency agreements in the creation of more profitable and sustainable outcomes
- Understand the psychological dynamics of various negotiation tactics
- Have experience applying the framework to simulated contexts that mirror negotiations encountered in participants’ real-life business contexts
|9.30 am - 11.00 am||Introduction and Basics of Integrative Bargaining
|11.00 am - 11.15 am||Tea / Coffee Break|
|11.15 am - 1.00 pm||Integrative Bargaining
|1.00 pm - 2.00 pm||Lunch Break|
|2.00 pm – 5.30 pm||Trust Building and Decision Making Biases
|9.30 am - 11.00 am||Introduction and Basics of Distributive Bargaining
|11.00 am - 11.15 am||Tea / Coffee Break|
|11.15 am - 1.00 pm||Decision Making Biases (2) and Power of Influence
|1.00 pm - 2.00 pm||Lunch Break|
|2.00 pm – 5.30 pm||Multi party multi issue negotiation
|5:30 pm – 6:00 pm||Vote of thanks|
Each applicant will be evaluated on several criteria to ensure that the participants selected for the program are well-rounded individuals with capacities of contributing to classroom participation and peer learning. Acknowledging that learning also comes from the diverse backgrounds
- Quantity and quality of work experience
- Evidence of professional success
- Likelihood of benefitting from the program and contributing to the program
- Education qualifications
FLAME reserves the right for selecting participants to this program.
To apply the applicant must:
- Download the application from here: PDF / DOC
- Complete the application and attach a colour photograph
- Provide details of two professional contacts in the application (ideally your current / previous supervisors)
- Attach current resume
- If sponsored by employer, attach sponsorship letter on company letterhead
Application Deadline – April 1, 2014
Date of the program – April 21-22, 2014.
The program registration starts at 8:00 am on April 21, 2014.
Accommodation will be provided to all participants at the following hotel for the duration of the program on a single occupancy basis. Transportation from the hotel to the FLAME campus and back will also be provided. The hotel is 10 kms (15 minutes) away from the FLAME campus. Participants can also check-in the hotel on April 20, 2014.
Holiday Inn Pune Hinjewadi
Address: Pune Banglore Highway, Pashan Exit, Pune, Maharashtra 411045 Phone: +91-20-66862200
Venue of the program
Foundation for Liberal And Management Education
Gat No. 1270, Taluka Mulshi, Village Lavale,
Off. Pune - Bangalore Highway, Pune - 411 042, India.
- INR 35,000 which includes tuition, course materials, hotel accommodation, hotel breakfast, meals on campus and transport from hotel to FLAME campus and back.
- Fee does not include other travel and other incidental expenses
- Fees should be paid in cheque or demand draft and made payable to “Foundation for Liberal And Management Education” in Pune
- Payment should be mailed to - Foundation for Liberal And Management Education, 401, Phoenix Complex, Bund Garden Road, Opp. Residency Club, Pune - 411001, Maharashtra, India
- Payment can also be made through an electronic transfer. Details are as follows:
- Name of account: Foundation for Liberal And Management Education
- Bank Name: Bank of India
- Bank Address: Laxmi Road Branch, Pune 411030
- A/C No: 050520100001865
- RTGS/IFSC Code: BKID0000505
- You can avail a full refund if cancellation is made 3 weeks before the commencement of the program; half the fee refund if cancellation is made 2 weeks before the commencement of the program. There will be no refund if cancellation is made less than 2 weeks before the commencement of the program.
- Candidates who are not selected to the program will receive a full refund of the program fees.
Facilities & Infrastructure
FLAME offers 53 acres of tranquil space, just 13 kms. from the Pune University main gate. It is an eco-friendly campus adjoining a 18-hole golf course. FLAME has a football ground, international size cricket ground, tennis courts, basketball and volleyball courts, gymnasium and an outdoor swimming pool. FLAME also has a floodlit indoor sports hall with facilities for badminton, snooker and table tennis.
Its academic spaces include lecture theatres, conference rooms, library, a performing arts studio, a visual arts studio, a sculpture studio, Physics, Chemistry & Biology labs, and amphitheatres. Some of the other amenities include cafes, Wi-fi connectivity, an infirmary and an ambulance in case of emergency.
During the duration of the program, participants are encouraged to explore the campus and use the facilities FLAME offers.
- Toll-free No: 1 800 209 4567
- Website: www.flame.edu.in