“Interactive teaching using practical approaches, discussions, hands on experience in labs, field work, etc. leads to effective learning."
Why I Chose FLAME
The fact that FLAME was the only academic institute to offer liberal education at that time, was enough for me; but the locale, infrastructure and the overall campus environment were icing on the cake.
What Sets FLAME Apart From Other Institutions
There are multiple factors that sets FLAME apart:
- FLAME is the first educational institute in India to start liberal education where students are exposed to wide variety of courses in different disciplines before choosing their area of interest.
- Each student has a different learning style and FLAME provides the flexibility to innovate ways (theory/practical/projects/research papers/case studies/field/performance/visuals etc.) for effective delivery and hence understanding of the concepts.
- FLAME provides opportunities to faculty and students to expose and interact with academicians from plethora of subject areas to enhance the overall understanding of education in a very holistic environment.
- FLAME gives its faculty scope to diversify, execute new ideas and attain management and administrative skills through working in different committees.
- Encouragement and support is given to faculty to further improve their academic qualifications.
- Incorporation of experiential learning programs like DAP and DIP in the curriculum sensitizes the students to our country’s vast society and culture and serves as a milestone in their transformation into an adult who is aware of realities of the common people and the society around.
- FLAME encourages talent to flourish under its wings so there is provision of scholarships for students.
- Overall pleasant and healthy environment which helps in increasing the efficiency in delivering and hence the personal satisfaction quotient also increases.
- World class infrastructure for academics and sports.
The Courses I Teach At FLAME
The courses I teach at FLAME are Basic Concepts in Biology, The Microbial World, Genetics, Fundamentals of Ecology, Evolution and Ecology, Principles of Biodiversity, Epidemiology and Human Genetics.
My Most Eventful Experience In The Classroom
There have been many actually but what I want to quote here is from one of the Genetics class where I announced to the class that we are going to extract 'our' DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) in the next class. There was complete silence in the class on hearing this. I was still wondering about the reason for the silence and then one student, almost choking said, ”Can we really do that?” Most of them started hugging each other and I could see they were very happy. I briefed them about the experiment and all the related theoretical details and I faced maximum questions of my life in that class. We did the lab on human DNA extraction from saliva and the students got hysterical with their own miracle molecule in their hands that they had extracted themselves. The class broke out in celebration. Some students told me that this was the best thing that they had done or will ever do in their life. This experience was very enriching and gratifying.
The Most Outstanding Features Of Curriculum Delivery At FLAME
Interactive teaching using practical approaches, discussions, hands on experience in labs, field work etc. generates interest about a topic in students and encourages participation in class and hence leads to effective learning.
What I Cherish And Admire The Most About FLAME
I cherish and admire the overall pleasant and healthy environment in side as well as outside the classrooms.